Antea Group was contracted by a large, integrated energy organization to provide a process safety management and risk management program compliance audit of a petroleum liquids terminal in Tennessee. Key petroleum products handled at the facility are natural gas liquids (NGL) and liquefied petroleum gas (LPG). The overall objective of the project was to evaluate the worker risks and regulatory compliance associated with the operation of the facility and to provide recommendations for appropriate corrective action.
Antea Group provided a comprehensive compliance audit for the facility and its operations. This audit was carried out in order to meet requirements with OSHA General Industry Standards under 29 CFR 1910.119(o) covering process safety management compliance audits and EPA’s standard 40 CFR 68.79 covering risk management program auditing. Also considered were the following consensus standards:
- API 2510 – Design and Construction of LPG Installations
- API 2510A – Fire Protection Considerations for the Design and Operation of Liquefied Petroleum (LPG) Storage Facility
- API RP-752 – Management of Hazards Associated with Location of Process Plant Buildings
- API RP-753 – Management of Hazards Associated with Location of Process Plant Portable Buildings
- NFPA 30 Flammable & Combustible Liquids Code
- NFPA 58 Storage & Handling of Liquefied Petroleum Gases
Client benefits included reduced risks for their employees who work in the facility and the client having a defined pathway for compliance in their operation. The assessment provided either a confirmation of the appropriateness of existing safety systems or a technical basis for upgrading site process safety programs or operating equipment.